Friday, April 11, 2014

On Further Thought: Is Lying Always a Sin?

Whenever I see someone post an update changing or clarifying what they originally said, I always tend to gain respect for them, that they would be willing to admit their mistake. Although it wouldn't (or at least I hope it wouldn't) change any of my decisions, I do hope that you would be able to think the same as I post this update here.

When I wrote this blog post, I quite honestly wanted to open up a discussion. I was a bit unsure of where I stood on the issue, and I thought that posting my current thoughts might spur some discussion that would further refine them. 

I did not get such discussion unfortunately, but that worked out just fine. The Lord was able to further refine my thoughts through other means. This Sunday, he showed me a verse which has once again changed my entire views on the subject. 

If you remember, my entire premise was based on the fact that there was no specific Bible commandment to not lie. Yes I admitted even then that the Bible did generally look down on lying. My point was simply there were rare circumstances where lying was permissible. But I have now been reminded of Colossians 3:9,
"Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds."

The argument could still be made that this verse is telling Christians not to lie to other Christians. It could be sad that lying to non-Christians in order to protect God's people, which describes all my examples in my original post, is permissible, but I'm not quite sure about that. Thus, I am unsure of what implications this should have on situations like the Holocaust, which is why I still ask you to pray for me as I prayerfully find answers to these questions. And maybe you would feel compelled to discuss what you have learned in your similar mulling in this topics. I'm not against changing my mind based on sound logic, even when the logic is not mine.

This just goes to show to me that even when you think you have it all figured out, the Lord may not be done refining your positions. In fact, when I first was publishing this post, it was going to be a complete retraction of what I wrote, and going back to the opinion that lying was always wrong.

Then the Lord used my Mom to highlight the context of the verse more specifically to  show that I may have been right about what I originally said, and this post really needed to refine my original point.

So if you want to take away anything from this post, take away the thought that the Lord is never done revealing truths about his Word to you. Don't ever get tricked into thinking that you have all the answers and be willing to listen to those opposing you. You may come back with a different opinion, a refined opinion, or just stronger reasons to back up your opinion. At any rate, I bet you will learn a lot by continually letting the Lord work in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment