Friday, January 24, 2014

Say "Yes" to Contentment

Alright, I know what you're saying, "Didn't he write a post not too long ago, entitled, 'Say No to Contentment?' Is he going hypocritical?"

I assure you that this blog post is discussing an entirely different definition of contentment than I discussed before, and there is not any bit of hypocrisy related to that. 

Today, I would like to discuss contentment as it relates to one's circumstances. One can remember how Paul and Silas would sing and praise the Lord when inside the Philippian prison. It is perhaps one of the greatest examples of contentment that we can find in the Bible. 

It also strikes at the heart of contentment. Regardless of what people tell us, contentment is based not on circumstances at all, but on the trust and joy we have in the Lord. I have oft made joy and contentment synonymous in my mind. Although that is slightly overly simplistic, there is still a lot of truth in that. 

Regardless, contentment is something we learn when we have an accurate relationship with the Lord. As Philippians 4:11-13 states, 
"Not that I speak in respect of want, for I have learned that in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Do you want to be able to be content in whatsoever state you're in? Well, we can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us.

No comments:

Post a Comment