Monday, August 25, 2014

Don't Nominate Me! I won't be Pouring a Bucket of Ice Water on Myself Anytime Soon

I am not the person most in touch with social media hype, so it comes as no surprise to any of my friends that prior to a few weeks ago, I had never heard of the ice bucket challenge. But my ignorance was pushed away as I watched one of my fellow freshman drench himself with ice water from his trash can.

It would be a week or so later that I would learn that this ice bucket challenge was formally called the ALS ice bucket challenge as it was intended to raise awareness to those suffering from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more commonly called, Lou Gehrig's disease. The challenge is doing a phenomenal job of awareness, ain't it?

According to ALSA, the sponsors of the ice bucket challenge, ALS is,
"a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons  die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed."

The ALSA could also work on their sentence structure a bit. But I digress, primarily because it is something of far more importance that the ALSA should really be considering changing than just the way that they are able to bring awareness to the disease.

The ALSA funds research for the noble cause of researching this disease to look for treatment, but they do so by use of embryonic stem cell research. Yes, there have even been cases where these embryonic stem cells have indeed come from victims of abortion.

Those familiar with the history of this blog will immediately call to mind that I had previously started another website specifically geared to attacking this process as it appeared in food and pharmaceuticals. The boycott method (though not through my efforts) was effective in this area, but it's difficult to boycott specific research mechanisms such as this.

That is why my Human Scavengers website was left stagnant. But that never changed my opinion on the subject. I don't care if you participate in the ice bucket challenge. I don't care if you nominate me to do so. It doesn't matter because I won't do it.

For no cause, no charity, will I compromise my Christian principles for the sanctity of life. I will not promote an organization that would be willing to utilize the parts of a murdered baby as if it were nothing more than a machine. I will not pour a bucket of water on myself to support research with aborted fetal cells. Who will stand with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment