Friday, February 14, 2014

Love is Deeper than Chocolate

It's Valentine's Day, and you know what that means. Procrastinating men everywhere will be rushing through grocery stores looking for some satisfactory chocolates and flowers to show their dedication to their wives. (Because nothing says love more than chocolate right? Well, maybe bacon.) Knowing my procrastination skills, I can say that I will probably be one of them (but hey, I'm writing this post on Thursday at 3, that's an improvement).

In the meantime, all I can think of about Valentine's Day is the following:
Love is patient. Love is kind.
Love is slowly losing your mind.
BUT AT LEAST YOU'RE TOGETHER!!!

Of course, I'm just showing my cynical self. I am well aware that love isn't about chocolates, doesn't necessarily mean going insane, and isn't about some desire to be together all the time.

At its core, love is about sacrifice. It is about putting another's interest above your own. It is about caring despite how hard it is at the time. It is also about many other things I don't comprehend. What I do understand is that Jesus truly loved us. He sacrificed for our sins. He put his well-being aside. And he loved what truly is the unlovable.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."  ~ John 15:13
"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."  ~ I John 4:10

Do you exhibit a similar love to God? Are you willing to put your interests and desires aside to serve the Lord? I saw a banner once in the youth auditorium of a church that read, "He died for me. The LEAST I can do is live for Him." (Emphasis added.) Although this banner makes it seem as if it would be easy to live for the Lord, it is correct in its assertion that it is reasonable indeed for us to live a life of sacrificial love for God. As Romans 12:1 says,
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

No comments:

Post a Comment